Wednesday, March 14, 2007

What activities do you not have time for?

Who's asking: MainePulse, a survey organization affiliated with my local newspaper group

Newspapers all over the country are flailing around, looking for ways to stay relevant and necessary to their readers. This question was part of a survey that seemed designed to try to identify ways my local paper could meet specific needs of its readers; the follow-up question to this one was, "How can your paper help you make time for these activities?"

Since my response to this question was (in no particular order) exercising, housecleaning and sleeping, I replied that it was hard to imagine how a newspaper could help me do any of those things. It's fun to think about, though. Maybe the sharp and energetic editorial staff of the Kennebec Journal can come up with a machine that puts me to sleep while stimulating my major muscle groups and vacuuming my living room. Until that happens, though, I'll be glad if they just keep the crime blotter up to date.

Dizzy and I got home around 10:00 last night. Since then, Dizzy's been sleeping and I've been rushing around. The division of labor seems unfair.

Five Random Songs:

"Jezebel," Natalie Merchant. This CD (Ophelia) was my constant companion during my move to Los Angeles, and I'm still not tired of it.

"Fountain of Sorrow," Jackson Browne. A beautiful midlife song. "And while the future's there for anyone to change, still you know it seems/It'd be easier sometimes to change the past." The past does change, with our ideas of causality and significance.

"Union City Blues," Blondie. Someone I know -- is it you, Ed? -- does not understand the infinite coolness of Blondie. Whoever you are, you're just wrong.

"Rosalita," Bruce Springsteen. The one song that still gets played off this most underrated and overlooked of albums (The Wild, The Innocent and the E Street Shuffle). Listening to it, I'm fifteen again.

"Sunshine on Leith," The Proclaimers. Title song off the only album anyone here remembers from these guys, identical twins from Scotland. Anyone know whether they're still performing?

6 comments:

Peggy & Scott said...

It doesn't look like they're touring any longer, at least as far as I can figure.
http://www.proclaimers.co.uk/2003/the_news.html

I heard them just the other day while watching Shrek with the boys. Perfect song for a perfect movie! "I'm on My Way"

sl

Anonymous said...

I have no problem with Blondie.

I even have a friend who swears that when he saw Debbie Harry and the surviving members of Blondie (all of them are still alive, I'm pretty sure) play a show at Bates College in 1992, Debbie winked and made a hip thrust at him from the stage.

My friend was 20 at the time. Debbie would have been at least in her early 50s.

Okay. Maybe I have a sort of "ewwww" reaction towards Blondie. But that's not the same as a "problem."

--Ed

Anonymous said...

Funny you should bring them up.
A few of us starting singing "500 miles" (or whatever the song title is) during the curtain hanging.
So I googled them

According to their website, they are touring this year and may have an ablbumout in 2008

evidently a musical "Sunshine on Leith, Musical" is being made out of their music and playing in Edinburg
RB

Michael Wicinski said...

The Proclaimers . . . what a great group, with a fresh sound. Even if the album is umpteen years old by now. A couple of songs on that disk bring a tear to this old fellers eyes. Wish I could remember the titles. I may break it out tomorrow to be part of my cartunes on the commute. Thanks for reminding me of them.

Anonymous said...

A friend of ours, who attended NYU in the 80's, sang back up on Blondie's HEART OF GLASS (on the album version--didn't tour with them, unfort.!)--he was sooo cool! and they were sooo cool, too!
Sue

Claire said...

When I was in high school, one of the most popular videotech projects of all time was a music video to "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)", starring two nerdy-looking students and a ventriloquist dummy.

In retrospect, I'm not sure what we saw in that.