Friday, May 15, 2009

I do not know the difference between tequila and mezcal.

Tequila can be made only from blue agave, while mezcal can be made from any type of agave. Mezcal bottles often contain a worm or other foreign object, while tequila bottles do not. What are the other differences, if any?

Sorry I've been MIA for a few days; I am posting this from Boston's South Street bus station, after spending a couple of days with family, celebrating Celeste Bea's graduation from Simmons. A happy day, and congratulations to Celeste, Keith and Vikki. I'll post late tomorrow, with an extended reading list.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just stumbled on the answer in the latest issue of "Gourmet." The agave for mezcal is roasted in an earthen pit. This is what gives it it's smoky taste. A bottle of mezcal is also what got a group of us through the night after the last big LA earthquake in Moira's guest house in the Hollywood Hills.

-Kathleen