Saturday, May 15, 2010

Five Random Songs

It's been a while since I posted one of these lists, too.

1. "Makin' Whoopee," Frank Sinatra. Perfect for a rainy morning. Where's my coffee? One drawback of living alone is that there's never any chance someone else might have made me some. Dizzy would do it, but he doesn't have thumbs, he can't reach the counter, and he is hopeless at measuring.

2. "Baby Seat," Barenaked Ladies. A song for everybody who's graduating this weekend. You can't live your life in the baby seat . . . "If you think growing up is tough/Then you're just not grown up enough, baby."

3. "You Don't Treat Me No Good," Sonia Dada. The Shuffle is doing me right this morning, and thanks again to my friend Art, who first gave me this album. Why wasn't this band huge? The handclaps alone would make this song genius, but the words are brilliant, too, and you may have to excuse me for a moment while I dance around the kitchen. Here, join me:



4. "Ada," The National. Heard the latest National album yet? Go here, fast; it's only going to be up for another day or so. And then go buy it. These guys need to prosper.

5. "Driver 8," REM. I close my eyes and it's 1985 again, and I've pulled yet another all-nighter just because it seemed like the thing to do. "And the train conductor says, Driver 8, take a break." But we're still a ways away . . .

1 comment:

norby said...

My favorite Frank Sinatra song-'It Was a Very Good Year'.