Saturday, July 30, 2011

"I don't know much but I'd like to know why."

The Song: "Maybe It's Imaginary," Kirsty MacColl. Words & music by Kirsty MacColl. Track 10 of Electric Landlady, 1991.
When/how acquired: Purchased used CD, c. 1994
I couldn't find this online, but you can see a pretty good cover here.

A former boss of mine once said he knew everything when he was 26, and had gotten dumber every year since. I might have peaked a few years later, maybe in my early 30s -- but without a doubt, I'm losing brain cells every day.

I'm surprised that this is only the second song from this album I've quoted this year. Electric Landlady is another one of my Desert Island Discs, and I'd ask for "The One and Only" to be played at my funeral except it would come off as maudlin.

That sound you hear is my deadlines rushing by you. Back to work, but I'll post tomorrow to close this year and announce next year's theme.

1 comment:

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

Um, not only did I understand it, but I agree with his perspective so much that I remembered it, quoted it, and always associate.it with this song, which is written as a wry reflection on the mysteries of life.

You, on the other hand, have missed or ignored the text in the righthand column that says I don't allow anonymous comments. If you'd care to repost and sign your name, future visitors to this post will not be mystified. Thanks.