Saturday, August 14, 2004

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

The Movie: Animal House, 1978 (Harold Ramis, Douglas Kenney & Chris Miller, screenwriters; John Landis, dir.)
Who says it: John Vernon as Dean Vernon Wormer
The context: Wormer is threatening Delta House pledge Kent “Flounder” Dorfman (Stephen Furst) with expulsion.
How to use it: Good advice for everyone, although I do okay on two out of the three.

I had a different quotation ready for today, but this line popped into my head yesterday afternoon, when I was waiting to buy a movie ticket behind an incredibly obnoxious guy who seemed to be channeling Andrew Dice Clay. (Actually, this is Hollywood; maybe he was Andrew Dice Clay.) Tempted as I was, I didn't say this line out loud.

Now that I am stuck here for another two weeks, I have time for things like movies again. I'm about 70% packed, I'm pretty well caught up on my work projects, and not having a car gives me an excuse to avoid any errand I don't feel like running. It's like being given a couple of weeks of vacation.

My cousin Sheila and her husband Greg had everyone over last night for Greek mezze and the Olympic opening ceremonies. God forbid I ever stop feeling impressed about the Olympics, but why were the American athletes dressed like 1980s breakdancers?

Julia Child's family has asked that people around the world lift a glass to her tonight at 8:00 p.m. local time. I don't know what else I'll be doing tonight, but that's definitely on my list.

No comments: