Tuesday, August 03, 2004

"Try not! Do -- or do not. There is no try."

The Movie: The Empire Strikes Back (Star Wars: Episode V), 1980 (Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan, screenwriters; George Lucas, dir.)
Who says it: Frank Oz as Yoda, the Jedi master
The context: Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill) has traveled to Dagobah to complete his training as a Jedi knight, where Yoda teaches him the nuances of the Force.
How to use it: Whenever facing an apparently impossible task. All-purpose inspiration and encouragement.

Today's quotation is honor of my nephew George, who turns 17 today. Happy birthday, George. I won't waste your time with advice, but I'll wish you the things I treasure most in all my friends -- curiosity, generosity and courage -- and I send you prayers for a long and useful life.

Oh, and a real present's in the mail. See you soon.

No comments: