Monday, September 19, 2005

Wadcutter

Who uses it: Competitive handgun and airgun users
What it is: A type of ammunition with a flat or nearly flat front, designed to make perfectly round holes in paper targets. Wadcutter ammunition isn't very aerodynamic, fires at low velocity, and is suitable for use only in revolvers, certain semi-automatic handguns, and airguns.
How to use it: To describe someone who's all show, but not particularly effective.

I don't pretend to know anything about firearms. This word is in Cormac McCarthy's latest novel, and caught my imagination.

Firing a handgun is on my list of things to do before I turn 40 -- along with going up in a hot-air balloon, visiting Paris, finishing a novel, and learning to ride a motorcycle. It's barely possible that I might get to fire a handgun sometime in the next two months. The other things are probably going to have to move to a list of things to do before I turn 50.

Today's destination is the brand new Bayside branch of the Virginia Beach Public Library, a building so great-looking that I almost forgive it for replacing the library of my childhood.

What I can't forgive -- or understand -- is the fact that this new building has a drive-up window. How the heck does that work? You drive up and order one copy of the latest Harry Potter and one Danielle Steele novel to go? I will investigate this, and report back.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I would think that of all things on your pre-40 list, shooting a handgun and learning to ride a motorcycle are two things easily done in your new hometown of Gardiner. There's Don's Guns on the road to Wiscasset and the Harley outlet on 3. If you want to get serious, there's a women's gun club where I took an all-day course a couple years ago. An experience like no other, I guarantee you!

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

Something about the combination of words "women's gun club" just cracks me up... and makes me think of that old Saturday Night Live skit about the Gay Communist Men's Gun Club, which would not allow Jan Hooks to join because she was a gay woman, not a gay man. I swear, a day does not go by that I don't miss Phil Hartman.

Anonymous said...

You can pick up your requested items (aka, your "HOLDS") at the drive-up window...among some other things. You can also return your books through the drive-thru.