Sunday, November 27, 2005

BSOD

Who uses it: Windows users
What it means: "Blue Screen of Death," the screen that appears to announce that your operating system has crashed, perhaps fatally.
How you can use it: When something goes badly wrong.

My computer made some ominous noises this morning, and I've been having trouble with my Internet Explorer software. It's time to take it in for a thorough cleaning, but that's the trouble with living in central Maine; I don't really know where to go, and I can't live without it long enough to send it away. Suggestions, Anna or Jen?

Walking in snow again takes some getting used to, and this early snow is ice-laden and particularly treacherous. The combination of its being the first snow and a holiday weekend means that no one's been as conscientious as usual about clearing sidewalks. Dizzy doesn't seem to have trouble, but I do, especially going downhill.

On the drive south from Quebec, not far past the Vermont border, is a sign that marks the 45th parallel -- the midpoint between the Equator and the North Pole. Gardiner's slightly south of that -- at 44.3 degrees north -- so I suppose I can take comfort at the idea that I'm closer to the Equator here than to the North Pole.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another way to look at your geographic location, depending on whether you are facing East or West, is the you're 0.7 degrees right or left of center.

Anna said...

Hmmm, computer place? Well, I just got my first personal computer in 40 years, so I'm not a great one to ask. I do know that there exists a Capitol Computer on the main drag in Augusta. I think they helped LVA once or twice.