Monday, July 17, 2006

Collateral damage

Who uses it: Military analysts and soldiers
What it means: People, buildings and other things destroyed unintentionally in attacks on military targets.
How you can use it: Be more careful.

Out of sorts this morning, for several reasons. The book I finished yesterday stirred my brain with a big stick, pulling up memories and lines of thought I'd buried 30 years ago or more; I woke at 4:00 this morning from a nightmare I hadn't had in at least 25 years, which was just as fresh as if I'd thought it up yesterday.

In other news, my laptop has literally fallen apart. The hinges between its halves have broken, and the screen comes away from the keyboard unless I handle the machine very, very carefully. I will have to replace this computer immediately when I get home, tomorrow or Wednesday (I still don't know which).

The front page of the New York Times shows the devastation of Beirut, and all the news in today's paper seems to be bad. Also, I still don't have a cell phone signal, and I miss my dog.

Other than that, things could be worse. It's a beautifully sunny day, and Susan is pouring espresso from a carafe. On Saturday night we went to a political fundraiser for Ned Lamont, who is challenging Joe Lieberman in the Democratic primary for Connecticut's Senate seat; it was heartening to see how much some people still care about the political process and the country's direction.

A cup of coffee and a little toast and jam might improve my spirits. Later.

No comments: