Wednesday, November 21, 2007

BRING ME A UNICORN by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

The Book: Anne Morrow Lindbergh, BRING ME A UNICORN: Diaries and Letters, 1922-1928. Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1972. Very good book in fine mylar-covered dust jacket; "Virginia Beach Public Library" stamped across top of the book's pages.
First read: 1980
Owned since: 1981

This book is a guilty pleasure not because of its content -- it is the earliest volume of Anne Morrow Lindbergh's memoirs, fascinating and magical, and taught me as much about writing as anything I've ever read. This volume covers her college years and her first meetings with Charles Lindbergh, and ends with the announcement of her engagement to him.

No, it's a guilty pleasure because the book belongs to the Virginia Beach Public Library, and I have had it illegally in my possession for more than 25 years.

In fact, I think it's time to put it in an envelope and send it back. We make a lot of mistakes in this life, big and small, but it's never too late to apologize and try to make things right. If only everything was as easy as returning a book to a library.

Five Random Songs

"When You're Alone," Bruce Springsteen. The weakest song off Tunnel of Love, which is otherwise one of Springsteen's strongest albums. It might have more lyrics than "When you're alone, you're alone/When you're alone, you ain't nothing but alone," but I can't remember them.

"Wild Injuns," The Neville Brothers. New Orleans funk, a song about Mardi Gras. Who were the Tchoupitoulas, anyway?

"57 Channels and Nothing on," Bruce Springsteen. It's Lesser Works of the Boss on the iPod Shuffle ... from Human Touch.

"Easter Parade," The Blue Nile. A heartbreaker off The Blue Nile's first album. This song might be too sad for me this morning. Next.

"Pioneer to the Falls," Interpol. This record (Our Love to Admire) is one of my favorite purchases of the year. This song, particularly, reminds me of classic Echo and the Bunnymen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The postage is likely a bit cheaper than a 25 year late fee. Yoiu could compromise; keep the book and send a donation.

Happy Birthday!

Larry

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

Actually, I'm doing both.

Anonymous said...

send the donation --- good idea --- but keep the book. I have a copy of Robert Silverberg' "The Time of the Great Freeze" that I have had for 40 years --- stolen from the Divisadero Junior High School in Visalia. I have read it numerous times and kept it on my shelves with a bit of guilt and a bit of nostalgic pride. Wrong -- you betcha -- but a significant part of my past that I would miss if it were gone. Buy and new copy and donate it to the library.

hope you had a great birthday!

rjb