Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"If I'd have paid attention to what others were thinkin', the heart inside me would have died."

The Song: "Up to Me," Bob Dylan. Words & music by Bob Dylan. Disc 2, Track 3 of Biograph, 1985.
When/how acquired: Gift cassette, 1985.
Listen to an excerpt here.

It's Bob Dylan's 70th birthday. Happy birthday, sir.

These are lines I wouldn't mind having on my tombstone:
If I'd have thought about it I never would have done it, I guess I would have let it slide
If I'd have paid attention to what others were thinkin', the heart inside me would have died
But I was just too stubborn to ever be governed by enforced insanity
Someone had to reach for the rising star, I guess it was up to me.

This cassette box set was a Christmas present from my parents, my senior year of college. I needed it. I needed this song in particular.

When I present myself to be judged, I won't be able to take credit for anything good I ever did, because those were the things I did without thinking, the things I did just because I had to. When I've thought about things, I've made some pretty bad decisions.

That is not in any way to say that I am good by nature.

No comments: