Wednesday, February 28, 2007

How many times was Martin Scorsese nominated for a Best Director Oscar before he won?

Who's asking: Quizmaster Geoff at the Liberal Cup, Hallowell, ME

We didn't win last night. We came in second (by a single point), and this was one of the questions we didn't get. Before Martin Scorsese won the Oscar for The Departed, he was nominated for Best Director Oscars for Raging Bull, The Last Temptation of Christ, Goodfellas, Gangs of New York and The Aviator. He was also nominated for (but did not win) Best Screenplay from Another Medium for Goodfellas (with Nicholas Pileggi) and The Age of Innocence (with Jay Cocks).

Guessing The Departed would win Best Picture won me two passes to Railroad Square Cinema, so I can't complain too much about this year's Academy Awards. But I do wish Peter O'Toole had won; I haven't seen Venus, but that was his eighth nomination. The others were for Lawrence of Arabia, Becket, The Lion in Winter, Goodbye Mr. Chips, The Ruling Class, The Stunt Man and My Favorite Year -- which begs the question, what does it take to get a little recognition? (Yes, he won an honorary Oscar a couple of years ago. It's not the same.)

Five Random Songs

"Real Real," Nina Simone. Liking Nina Simone is a basic requirement of coolness.
"Listen to the Band," The Monkees. And listening to The Monkees is -- uh -- not. But they cheer me up, dammit.
"I Feel Lucky," Mary Chapin Carpenter. Another great cheering-up song. "Dwight Yoakam's in the corner/Trying to catch my eye/Lyle Lovett's right beside me/With his hand upon my thigh."
"Church," Lyle Lovett. Hey, what about that! This version is from the Live in Texas CD. I once saw Lyle Lovett and his band perform this at the Hollywood Bowl, and the audience sat in their seats like lumps. Los Angeles audiences are terrible.
"Warming Up to the Ice Age," John Hiatt. Rounding out our singer-songwriter set, this is off one of the earlier records. Fine stuff, but he didn't really hit his stride until Bring the Family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do you know? Predicting Oscar winners made me a winner too. I didn't pick 'The Departed' but I did pick the fabulous Alan Arkin and was happy to see him win. I get a DVD of my choice from the bookstore. Hmmm what to choose...?

Susan

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

I knew you'd be pleased about that! So what will you choose -- funny Alan Arkin, as in "Grosse Point Blank," or scary Alan Arkin, as in "Wait Until Dark"?

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

The Liberal Cup is a fine, fine brewpub in downtown Hallowell, home of Tuesday night pub trivia and live music on many other nights.