Saturday, November 22, 2008

"'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.' Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant."

The Movie: Harvey, 1950. Mary Chase and Oscar Brodney, screenwriters, from the play by Mary Chase; Henry Koster, dir.
Who says it: James Steward as Elwood P. Dowd, a wealthy bachelor whose best friend is Harvey, a 6"3' invisible rabbit.
The context: Elwood explains himself to a psychiatrist.
How to use it: To end an argument.

A movie quote today, as I don't know what I don't know, and I'm finding myself a little insufferable at the moment. Dizzy and I are going for a long walk before it snows.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that movie! And what a delightful quotation. I think I shall be pleasant today, as I have no compelling reason to be oh so smart.

Linda

Anonymous said...

one of my favorite quotes from one of my favorite movies. I tear up everytime at the end. "Well thank you Harvey, I prefer you too." Thanks the posting

Anna said...

I always try to be pleasant. Let's face it - I was never very smart!

Snow? Did I miss it??

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

We had two flakes on Saturday morning. I'm not kidding; two flakes. But it sure did look like snow, all day.