Monday, December 29, 2008

I don't know what those words are at the end of "Pretty in Pink."

Back on the road this morning, after I get a couple of things done. The weather's supposed to be good and I'm hoping most people aren't traveling today, so with luck I'll get home at a reasonable hour, and be back at work full force tomorrow morning.

I've exhausted my supply of audiobooks for the journey, so it's back to the iPod, which is fine. Once again I'm surprised by how many versions I have of certain songs -- for instance, I have three different versions of the Psychedelic Furs' "Pretty in Pink": one from the movie soundtrack, one from the Furs' greatest hits collection, and one from a collection of songs produced by legendary maniac Martin Hannett. (It's worth mentioning, in case you don't know, that the plot of the movie has nothing to do with the words of the song, which is a bitter tribute to a tragic party girl.)

The movie version is shorter than the other two (which seem to be the same, although one is 3:59 and one is 4:00), and omits the playout at the end, in which you can barely hear Richard Butler muttering something under the music.



The part that's missing from the movie starts around 3:23. Do me a favor and listen, and please tell me -- if you can -- what is he saying?

This is an enduring mystery from my youth. Every so often I try to find the answer online, but have never been able to. If you can figure it out, you will have my eternal admiration. Thanks.

5 comments:

Anna said...

I think he says something like "I'd have picked Andrew McCartney, too." or "I liked Andrew McCartney in St. Elmo's Fire better." or was it "Molly, don't do that stupid horse movie with Andrew McCartney." I'm pretty sure it's one of those!

I give you my admiration for being able to figure out the REST of the words, frankly!

Ed Lamb said...

The Web site Sing365 (www.sing365.com) gives the coda lyrics as these, with a note of thanks to "Rob":

Caroline's on the table screaming
Confidence is in the sea
And all their favorite rags are worn
And other kinds of uniform

They kid you you're really free
And you know what you want to be
Case of individuality
Until tomorrow

And everything you are you'll see
in pure shiny buttons
They put you in this gear
And driveways broken
Doorbell sings in chimes

It plays anything goes
Bells toll in rhyme

-- Special thanx to Rob, who worked
for hours discerning these lyrics!

Anonymous said...

I've often wondered what exactly that song was supposed to mean in relation to the film, other than having the same title.

Of course, they use the music for the song 'Short Skirt' for the show Chuck, which makes no sense at all either, so I guess in the minds of Hollywood geniuses it's not necessary for music to align with what's going on in the script.

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

Wow, Ed! I salute Rob, whoever he is -- thanks!

The whole "pink" thing is baffling, Deb, because pink is a terrible color on Molly Ringwald, and that dress she designs for herself is hideous. So even as a phrase unrelated to the song, "pretty in pink" is meaningless.

Anna, one of the reasons that movie holds up for me is that I understand it's not really a happy ending. She'd have been better off with Ducky, but what adolescent ever believes that?

Karen Olson said...

I can't make out any of the words. So kudos to anyone who can.

I haven't seen Pretty in Pink in ages, but I just watched The Breakfast Club yesterday. It happened to be on HBO, and remarkably it still holds up. Although what happened to all those kids?