Wednesday, March 11, 2009

I don't know how Daylight Savings Time saves any money.

We changed the clocks three days ago, and I'm still whining about it. Daylight Savings Time is kicking both my ass and Dizzy's, and it will be at least a week before we get used to it.

I do not habitually set an alarm clock, because Dizzy gets up at sunrise; this week sunrise has been at 7:00 (approximately) instead of at 6:00, and this has wrought havoc with my schedule.

Why do we have Daylight Savings Time at all any more, much less moving it earlier and earlier in the year? Since 2007, we've had 34 weeks of Daylight Savings Time every year -- from the first week of March to the first week of November. If more than half the year is Daylight Savings, why don't we just call that Standard Time and Winter Time something else (say, "Winter Time"?)

What, exactly, are we saving with Daylight Savings Time?

I've lost an hour of sleep, and I want it back. Anyone close to me knows I get cranky when I haven't enough sleep. You wouldn't like me when I'm cranky.

Five Random Songs

"Stupid Girls," Pink. A song that makes a lot more sense if you've actually lived in Los Angeles.

"Heartbreak Beat," The Psychedelic Furs. It's true, many of the most-played tracks in my iTunes library date back to the 1980s. This is one of them. I plan to dance to it at my 70th birthday party, in my sweater dress and my angled bangs.

"Sheila Take a Bow," The Smiths. And then we'll play this song for my cousin Sheila.

"Dirty Life & Times," Warren Zevon. From his final album, The Wind. Funny, but oh, so bitter: "I'm looking for a woman with low self-esteem."

"Rockin' Around (With You)," Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. From Pack Up the Plantation - Live!, which I'd put on a list of five best live albums of all time.

No comments: