Sunday, May 22, 2005

“You get what you settle for.”

The Movie: Thelma and Louise, 1991 (Callie Khouri, screenwriter; Ridley Scott, dir.)
Who says it: Susan Sarandon as Louise, an Arkansas waitress on an adventure with her best friend, Thelma (Geena Davis)
The context: Louise encourages Thelma to make better life decisions.
How to use it: True at any time.

I'm not crazy about this movie. It's supposed to be this great celebration of women and women's friendships -- but I feel that the ending betrays everything that goes before it, and the ultimate moral is that rebelling comes to no good in the end. Ridley Scott did, however, make one great feminist movie, and that movie would be called Alien. (Ha ha! Did you think I was going to say G.I. Jane? Uh, no. And you're not going to see that line in this blog, either. You know the one I mean.)

It's raining again. It'll rain tomorrow. It'll rain some more on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday. It's a good thing I've ordered my dog a lifejacket.

3 comments:

Madley said...

Glad you said that about Thelma and Louise -- the end was one big copout. Maybe guys would die like that, but women wouldn't.

I did have to check out the line from G.I. Jane, hoping I'd figure out which one it was -- and yeah, now I remember it. That was a sucky movie too.

But his last one -- Kingdom of Heaven -- what a waste of $$ and Orlando Bloom. After all these years, you'd think Mr. Scott would at least find a writer who carve out a character for us to hang on to and give him SOME kind of conflict. What a mess.

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

As I said to another friend about "Kingdom of Heaven," I didn't even notice that Orlando Bloom had dialogue... pretty. Shiny. Boiling oil and siege towers... yeah, I might even see that one again.

Madley said...

LMAO!