Friday, September 11, 2009

Five Random Questions with VICTOR GISCHLER

Victor Gischler is the author of six excellent thrillers that challenge genre boundaries and walk that fine line between hilarious and sick. His first novel, GUN MONKEYS, was nominated for an Edgar; his novel SHOTGUN OPERA was nominated for an Anthony Award. His latest, VAMPIRE A GO-GO, is my employee pick this month at The Mystery Bookstore and is one of the most entertaining things I've read all year. He is a scholar and a gentleman and a writer who deserves to be read.

1. What's the first horror movie you remember seeing?

Creature from the Black Lagoon. I'm sure I actually saw others first, but Creature is the one that stuck with me. When you're seven years old, it's a scary film. Now it's good for laughs, but I've seen scarier episodes of "House".

2. Have you ever been rollerblading? If not, what would it take to get you to try it?

I've never been rollerblading. If it were the only way to escape the creature from the black lagoon, I suppose I would try it, but really it just seems like an opportunity to fall down and hurt myself.

3. What is the strangest thing a student ever brought into your classroom?

Instead I'll tell you the most common thing. Various texting devices. At any given time these kids are texting to God knows who about God knows what. Often, I imagine they're simply texting each other about how boring I am and what much more fun thing they plan to do after class.

4. Do you have a favorite hangover remedy?

Well, I like Alka-Seltzer. That's if I have to get into shape for legit business. But if I'm at a Bouchercon and I need to crank up again for socializing, I think I'm starting to warm up to the brunch-time Bloody Mary.

5. If time and space were no object, what exotic animal would you like to keep as a pet?

I cannot think of anything that doesn't poop, so this is a hard question. I can see the possibilities of a cyborg Triceratops. Bigfoot, if I could train him to do simple tasks. Also Ava Gardner.

Thanks, Victor! If you're going to Bouchercon, you can see Victor on a panel called "More Noir than You Are" at 9:00 a.m. on Friday, October 16. Frankie Y. Bailey moderates a panel that includes Christa Faust, Victor Gischler, Charlie Newton and Jeri Westerson. Bring your own Bloody Mary.

No comments: