Sunday, February 13, 2005

“I shall stay until the wind changes.”

The movie: Mary Poppins, 1964 (Bill Walsh, screenwriter, from the book by P.L. Travers, Robert Stevenson, dir.)
Who says it: Mary Poppins (Julie Andrews,) the practically perfect person.
The context: Jane and Michael Banks ask her how long she’ll remain their nanny.
How to use it: to say that things are over when it is time for them to be over.

Thanks Clair, for letting me play in your yard this past week. But…hello, I must be going. (I’ll stay a week or two, I’ll stay the summer through, but I am telling you: I must be going.) This short time was a learning experience for me by the way:

First of all, I spend a lot of self-obsessed time about how overworked I am. Jeez. I remind me of med students in college, who, if they spent a bit more time working and a bit less grousing, would be about twice as effective, and have more free time to boot. Note to self: shut up already. (Second note to self: remember to use that line from Moonstruck next time around.) (Third note to self: some of us are getting confused with your wierd sentences and inconsistent narrative voice, and so am I.)

Second, I find that my concerns these days are more limited in number but deeper in commitment. Work, family, friends, movies. (Not to mention that pitchers and catchers report to spring training this week.) Yeah, there’s more, like poetry, Macs, Ginger my beloved Bulldog, etc…but I didn’t post about ‘em.

Making a commitment to post every day is daunting and a pain in the butt to actually do; but making it through a week without missing a day is a pretty good feeling. Not every post is great; sure. But tomorrow is, as they say, another day. I stopped posting on my own blog, bout six months ago. I guess I’ll have to resume over there….

I hope to return as a guest host in the future. In fact, Lucy already has a post in mind (I can’t give it away!) And I’ve still got, oh, a few more lines to share.

Thanks again, and welcome back Ellen. And if my time here has disappointed anyone, well, I can only cite the greatest closing movie line ever written (and hey, it can still be used in the future.)

Nobody’s perfect.

No comments: