Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I don't know what we were voting on yesterday.

As I drove to Hallowell last night for a dress rehearsal of "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes," I saw a sign that said "VOTE HERE."

I was running late anyway, so didn't stop, but I was mortified. Yesterday was an election day? How did I not know this? And what were we voting on, anyway?

As it turns out, very few people voted in Gardiner yesterday -- a total of 273 -- and the question was about the proposed budget for the local school district. It passed.

Local government in this part of New England is as pure as representative democracy gets. We have meetings and committees about everything; we vote all the time, on all kinds of things. But as I say, I'm mortified that I didn't know yesterday was an election day, and even if I had, I wouldn't have known enough about the proposed school budget to make an informed decision.

It's not that I don't read the local paper, either, because I do -- although I admit I've been a little distracted lately, with the show and work and all. It sounds like a feeble excuse to say, "Why didn't anybody tell me?", but seriously, why didn't anybody tell me? I'm on three different Democratic party email lists; why did yesterday's polling sign surprise me?

Yes, I know it's my responsibility to stay informed about these things. I need to pay more attention, but since yesterday's turnout was less than five percent of Gardiner's population, I'm clearly not the only one.

Five Random Songs

"In the Darkest Place," Elvis Costello with Burt Bacharach. I love this album (Painted from Memory), but this song is too sad for such a cold, rainy day.

"Think About It (Previously Unissued Outtake)," Fleetwood Mac. From the expanded Rumours reissue. I've only ever heard this track once before. Nothing memorable about it.

"Having a Party," Sam Cooke. When Dizzy was a puppy, I used to make him dance with me; now, his hips aren't strong enough to support him on his back legs. Still, they're better than they were.

"All Good Gifts," Lamar Alford & Company, from the Godspell soundtrack. An automatic mood-lifter, on any day.

"Destination You," Material Issue. Great driving music; I used to own this on cassette, and would play it in my old Saturn...

3 comments:

Karen Olson said...

I was once covering a town budget meeting and showed up five minutes late. People were already leaving. It was over. I think there were 20 people there.

Claire said...

so good to hear that Dizzy is showing improvement. Madeleine asked about him this weekend, she says she misses him.

Anonymous said...

There was also a chance to sign the 'Repeal Same Sex Marriage act" (AKA Gay Marriage Act) Petition . Every poll had a table.

So I voted and got to say "I don't think so" to someone

RBO