Monday, January 03, 2011

"I've been paralyzed by a choice that lies well inside of me/Which world to hold me now"

The Song: "Hey Wow," The Connells. Words & music by Mike Connell. Track 7 of Fun & Games, 1989.
How/when acquired: Bootleg cassette tape, c. 1991; purchased CD, c. 1999.
Listen to a sample here.

The Connells were/are a band out of Raleigh, NC that never got the breakout they deserved. They wrote smart, jangly pop songs that come from the heart, and they put on a great live show.

Fun & Games is my favorite of their albums. While I haven't read much about it, I've concluded over the years that most of it is about recovering from mental illness. This song, in particular, seems to be about a stay in a psychiatric hospital. Anyone know for sure?

It's a new year and a sunny day, which makes me cautiously optimistic despite the skin of ice covering my part of central Maine. I'm glad to be finished with 2010; it was a good year for a handful of my friends and family members, but a bad year for even more of the people close to me, and I have to believe that 2011 will be better.

I don't make New Year's resolutions, really, but am determined to do more things this year that scare me, and most of all to remain in motion. Inertia rules the universe; bodies at rest tend to remain at rest. Let's get moving.

No comments: