Tuesday, January 18, 2011

"Too many sad days/Too many Tuesday mornings"

The Song: "Tuesday Morning," The Pogues. Words & music by Spider Stacy. Track 1 of Waiting for Herb, 1993.
How/when acquired: Purchased CD, 1993.
Listen/watch here.

The words are wistful, the melody's cheerful; this song has been a staple in my "Music for a Bad Mood" playlist for almost 20 years now. (Ouch.) If you'd like to make your own "Music for a Bad Mood" playlist, I follow this song with the Psychedelic Furs' "Pretty in Pink" — it's a good segue from one riff to another, I think.

We're about to get another storm here, snow followed by freezing rain and ice pellets. With luck I will be able to get to and from tutoring, and get my errands run before anything starts falling from the sky.

It would not be accurate to say that I feel sad. I feel okay, other than the last of the cold that's hanging around the back of my throat. But everything is harder than it should be, which I know is winter blues. I keep saying that this is the year I get a light box, but I never do it until the season catches me, and then I lose the motivation. The world operates on momentum, and I need to get some back.

No comments: