Wednesday, March 02, 2005

“You haven’t seen enough movies. All of life’s riddles are answered in the movies.”

The Movie: Grand Canyon, 1991 (Lawrence Kasdan and Meg Kasdan, screenwriters; Lawrence Kasdan, dir.)
Who says it: Steve Martin as Davis, producer of low-quality slasher films
The context: Davis explains his new outlook on life to his best friend, Mack (Kevin Kline)
How to use it: When is this not appropriate?

And this quotation reminds me, it's the middle of Lent already and I haven't reread The Moviegoer yet. I always reread The Moviegoer during Lent, partly because it's set during Mardi Gras and partly because it strikes me as a deeply, if obscurely, religious novel.

If you haven't read The Moviegoer yet, you should. I gave a copy once to someone I was dating, and he said it was boring. I wonder whatever happened to that guy.

But my copy is somewhere in one of the boxes marked "Paperbacks," which I haven't unpacked yet because I don't yet have bookshelves for them. That's a project for this weekend.

Today, though, is dedicated to catching up on a couple of deadlines and doing something about the mountain of laundry in my bedroom closet. I'm very afraid I saw it move this morning.

No comments: