Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Summary judgment

Who uses it: Judges and lawyers
What it means: A ruling that ends a trial by declaring that no facts remain to be established, and that the judge can make a decision without continuing.
How you can use it: To end an argument.

As I wrote to Claire yesterday, I might be getting a little old for this lifestyle. I was up at 4:15 yesterday morning, rushing around to finish a couple of things before leaving for Washington. I landed at Reagan National around 1:30, took the Metro into the city, and spent the next few hours talking on the phone, shooting off e-mails, and trying to finish some reading before a meeting this morning.

I had dozed on the plane, but never got a real nap, and then Joseph and I went to the 9:30 Club to see Stereolab. It was a good show -- I love watching electronic bands recreate their sound live, and any band with a female lead singer who also plays the trombone is aces with me -- but sometime around 11:00, I hit the wall. We left before the encores -- one of these days I'll rant about the practice of the automatic encore -- and walked back to Johnson Avenue in a light snowfall, which was mildly surreal. The cherry blossoms are already starting to pop, and the combination of snow and flowers in the middle of the city was breathtaking.

Anyway, all of this is to say that I'm feeling a little fragile this morning, and I still have a couple of things to do before my 9:30 appointment. Today promises to be another long day, so I'm about to have the first of many cups of coffee, and I'll be back tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here in Richmond we had maybe 1/2 an inch of snow fall overnight and the surreal thing for me was the sound of birds singing when I left for work this morning at about 6:45 AM. Around here if there's snow on the ground the birds are usually still wherever it is they go during the winter. Spring's great, huh?
Susan