Monday, March 20, 2006

Vernal equinox

Who uses it: Meteorologists and astronomers
What it means: The date when the sun passes over the equator, traveling from south to north, and day and night in the Northern Hemisphere are roughly equal.
How you can use it: Happy first day of spring.

Day and night are not completely equal, up here in Maine; we're far enough north that it's already 12 hours and five minutes between sunrise and sunset today. And it's 14 degrees outside, but I believe that spring is here. I saw some baby birds the other day, and the trees are budding.

The sun rose at 5:45 this morning, which I know because Dizzy alerted me. For once, I was grateful, because I have a ridiculous amount of things to do before I leave for Washington again, tomorrow.

I'm 9-7 on my second round NCAA picks, which I don't care about, since Georgetown crushed Ohio State so handily. Last night's Sopranos episode was one of the best things I've ever seen on television, and yesterday's LVA fundraiser raised a few thousand dollars for the cause. I was relieved to see that most of the books for auction went for higher prices than the giant Whoopie Pie.

No comments: