Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I don't know which wrist left-handed people usually wear their watches on.

This is one of my more random bits of ignorance, I know. But a friend who is mildly obsessed with watches sent me a link yesterday about Barack Obama's watch, which was a 47th birthday present from his Secret Service detail.

It's pretty cool that our new President's Secret Service agents like him well enough to give him a $180 watch (sorry, chronograph; does it become a chronograph at a certain price level, or is that a term of art?). But it drew my attention to the fact that President Obama wears his watch on his left wrist, despite the fact that he is left-handed.

Do most left-handed people wear their watches on their left arms? I am not a habitual watch-wearer (which should surprise no one who knows me well), but I'm pulling out my $5 Wal-Mart special with the cracked face to experiment. I notice that if I try to wear it on my right wrist, the winder is on the wrong side -- but most high-end watches don't need winding, and people generally take their watches off to correct the time. Does anyone make a left-handed watch, with the winder on the left?

It would annoy me to death to wear a watch on my right wrist. I can barely get used to wearing one on my left, when I have to.

Five Random Songs

"Leaving New York," R.E.M. I love this song; it might have been the very first one I ever bought from iTunes, and according to my "most played" list it is my #5 most-played song. The intertwining melody lines at the end ("I told you, forever/I love you, forever/You find it in your heart, it's pulling me apart...") kill me, every time.

"No Myth," Michael Penn. Another song I listen to all the time (#24 on the most-played list). Hmm. Did I hit a playlist by mistake?

"Angelyne," The Jayhawks. No, it's random. I like the harmonies on this song a lot, though. However, each of these songs so far has been about the singer's unworthiness. Interesting. You know, in my experience, when a man says, "I'm not worth it," he is telling the exact truth. But I digress...

"Just the Two of Us," Bill Withers. Something happier, hurray. And while I'm free-associating, didn't the Obamas look happy last night? I love to watch the two of them together. That's a relationship I envy and admire.

"Book of Days," Enya. Good movie music, though I never actually saw the movie (Far and Away) this was the theme to.

10 comments:

Kevin Wignall said...

Well, of course, like most left-handed people, I don't wear a watch (we're creative types, after all). But when I have worn one in the past, I always wore it on the left wrist and I'm not sure why that would be an issue - it's not as if it calls on the need for any great dexterity in the right hand.

Btw, yes, very cool that his secret service detail bought him a watch. Unless it's a coded way of telling him he's a poor timekeeper...

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

I suppose it wouldn't distract you, if you were used to wearing it on your left wrist. But I don't even wear rings because I feel they make me clumsy, and if I wore a watch on my right wrist, I'd be forever knocking it into things or plunging it into dishwater (not that I do a lot of dishes, but you know what I mean).

Come to think of it, that's why I don't wear a watch at all, and why the face of the cheap watch I do own is cracked...

Anonymous said...

Maybe it has a GPS locator in it so the Sec Service can find him.

I wear a watch on my right hand and people ask me if I am left handed......

RBo

Anonymous said...

My brother wears his watch with the face down... so he has to twist his palm upward to see what time it is. Why the crystal of his watch isn't constantly getting cracked I will never know.

I myself have worn a watch (on my left wrist by the way) since I was in fourth grade, and feel lost without one.

RJB

Anonymous said...

I'm left handed and wear my watch on my left wrist too. I'm not sure why I started but it feels like the right place for it now. -kathleen

Anonymous said...

Some of the lefties I know wear their watches on the left, some one the right. But all of my family members who are lefties wear their watches on the left. I can't even type with my watch on, so I can't imagine how people would write with their watch on.

Madley said...

I've given up watches (I break and lose them) because it stresses me out to always be looking at the disappearing time! I use my cell phone if I need to, and short of that, I love asking people what time it is! Silly, I know...

(I can't stand wearing rings either :)

Gramps said...

I wear my watch on my left wrist. (Because I'm a lefty, see.) Good answer, though, Kevin.

Anonymous said...

Im left handed and I wear my watch on the left arm but thats only because if I wear it on my right arm the time reversed (the six in the twelve position and vice versa)

ps. a chronograph is just a stop watch.

Anonymous said...

i'm a left too, i've always worn my watches on the right hand but thats not to say i haven't tried to wear on my right hand. in the end i always have given up because i simply can't get it on using my other hand. besides i've learned to be a litte of both over the years. when i was a kid in elementary school they actually sent me to a special "class" daily to get me to use my right hand, messed up isn't it.