Thursday, February 10, 2011

"I don't want to go out./I want to stay in./Get things done."

The Song: "Modern Love," David Bowie. Words & music by David Bowie. Track 1 of Let's Dance, 1983; track 20 of ChangesBowie, 1990.
When/how acquired: Illegal cassette copy (Let's Dance), 1983; purchased CD (ChangesBowie), 1990
Listen/watch here.

It would not have surprised me at all if Christopher Bea had emerged from the womb singing this song, since I had this tape on constant replay through the summer and fall of 1983 (along with The Psychedelic Furs' Forever Now, the Talking Heads' Speaking in Tongues, and The Police's Synchronicity). Somewhere, photographic evidence exists of an all-nighter I pulled about two weeks before Chris was born, finishing a term paper for Introduction to Biblical Literature. If memory serves, the paper was about Second Isaiah (Isaiah 40-55), which - I realize only now, almost 30 years later - was exactly what I needed to be reading at the time.

Anyway. The fever is gone, and I'm much better, though something hard and painful has settled in my lower respiratory system. I'm taking Mucinex to loosen it up, but will see a doctor if it isn't gone by Monday. It's rare for me to get through a winter without a case of bronchitis, so why should this year be any different?

In the meantime, though, I have a lot of catching up to do. Staying in. Getting things done.

3 comments:

Scott Phillips said...

Actually, it's "I know when to go out. Know when to stay in. Get things done."

Laura Benedict said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better.

I was admonishing Bengal for some random transgression yesterday, and told him, "This ain't no party, this ain't no disco, this ain't no foolin' around." He said it sounded like good poetry. Not bad for a kid who's torn between Jack Prelutsky and very annoying Justin Beiber hooks. xo

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

Really, Scott? Doh! No . . . really?

Now I need to go hide in shame for a while.

Laura, it's never too early to introduce the kids to the Talking Heads. "Little Creatures" was the soundtrack for my pregnancy with Claire.