Tuesday, February 01, 2011

"I went to a funeral/Lord, it made me happy/Seeing all those people/That I ain't seen/Since the last time somebody died."

The Song: "Since the Last Time," Lyle Lovett. Words & music by Lyle Lovett. Track 7 of Joshua Judges Ruth, 1992.
How/when acquired: Purchased CD, 1992.
Listen/watch here.

The mystery world turned out in force last night to say goodbye to The Mystery Bookstore, and for stretches of time it was almost possible to forget what we were there for. It was great to see everybody, and I'm so grateful to the authors who made special trips just for the occasion — Lisa Lutz, in particular, who stayed with us to the end, and Eric Stone, who gave Linda and me a ride home when it was over.

I don't know when I'll see everybody again; I just know I will. Since Robert Crais' L.A. Requiem was the first book I bought at the store, it seemed appropriate to wind things up last night by buying his latest, The Sentry. He signed it to me: "Never the last." Let it be so.

Weather has already canceled my flights out of LA in the morning. I've been rebooked on a flight out first thing Wednesday morning, but doubt I'll get all the way to Maine before Thursday.

No comments: