Thursday, February 03, 2011

"You can travel for miles and never leave LA."

The Song: "Come a Long Way," Michelle Shocked. Words & music by Michelle Shocked. Track 2 of Arkansas Traveler, 1992.
When/how acquired: Purchased cassette, c. 1992.
Listen/watch here.

Yesterday morning I was awake at 3:00 to meet a 4:00 taxi that took me to a 4:30 shuttle so I could catch a 6:00 a.m. plane to Dulles, from which I hoped to take a flight to Portland, Maine. Arriving at LAX at 5:00 a.m., I discovered that my flight from Dulles to Portland had already been canceled, and the nice people at United would not let me start a journey they knew I couldn't finish.

So I got a shuttle back to Van Nuys and a cab back to my friends Linda and Tim's in Sherman Oaks, and tried again this morning. A more humane flight time — 9:40 a.m., and this time I got a ride with Tim, who had to take his own flight out this morning. I made it to O'Hare, and am now waiting out a four-hour layover to Portland. If all goes well, I'll be home by midnight.

I'm feeling a little overwhelmed by the events of the past month or so, and could sleep for about 48 hours, but will not get the chance to - I am badly behind on everything that got neglected in the past few weeks, and I have a lot of catching up to do. But I want Linda and Bobby to know that a piece of my heart stays in Los Angeles with them, as they finish the process of dismantling the Mystery Bookstore.

No comments: