Sunday, October 31, 2004

“Don’t let them bury me… I’m not dead!”

The Movie: The Serpent and the Rainbow, 1988 (Richard Maxwell and Adam Rodman, screenwriters, based on the book by Wade Davis; Wes Craven, dir.)
Who says it: Bill Pullman as Dennis Alan, an anthropologist researching zombies in Haiti
The context: Dr. Alan finds himself under the effects of the drug he’d gone to Haiti to research.
How to use it: When you’re afraid of being ignored – or buried alive.

My favorite band of the 1990s, Too Much Joy, used a couple of different versions of this line in songs on their debut album, Green Eggs and Crack. Also, Dr. Doug Lyle explains how to make your own zombie powder in his book, Murder & Mayhem... not that this is something I endorse. Really. But if it works for you, send me some.

The Literacy Volunteers of Greater Augusta and the Gaslight Theater of Hallowell held a Spooktacular Read-a-Thon last night at Higher Grounds, a Hallowell coffeehouse. Anna was one of the coordinators -- I was supposed to be part of the planning group, too, but didn't get here in time. Anna & I were going to read "The Yellow Wallpaper," but there were so many other readers that we skipped it.

It was a great evening, though, and I love that there's more live music within three miles of my new apartment than there was within three miles of my place in Hollywood.

My other big excursion yesterday was to the Wal-Mart in Augusta. Talk about overwhelming... you could drop all of downtown Gardiner into it, and still have room for a chunk of Hallowell.

Happy Halloween, y'all.

No comments: