Saturday, October 09, 2004

"Goonies never say die!"

The Movie: Goonies, 1985 (Chris Columbus, screenwriter; Richard Donner, dir.)
Who says it: Sean Astin as Mikey Walsh, leader of The Goonies
The context: Mikey's persuading his friends to continue the search for pirate treasure, despite being chased by the evil Fratelli family.
How to use it: To encourage yourself and the people you’re working with.

Today's quotation is for my brother James, because he loves this movie.

I'm on my way to Santa Monica Volkswagen this morning because -- believe it or not -- the CHECK ENGINE light came on last night as I was driving across town.

Someone told me it's possible that this light means nothing, that it comes on at regular intervals to remind you to get your oil changed. This had better be true, because I can't imagine what else could be wrong with the car. In the past year, I have replaced the brakes, the battery, the serpentine belt, the radiator, the transmission and the alternator. What else is there? All fluids in this car are brand new, and the car only has 28,000 miles on it.

I'm calm. I'm proceeding on the assumption that this is minor and easily reparable. I AM leaving tomorrow night.

Update 12:30 p.m....

The car is fine. When I dropped it off this morning, the repairman told me that any of 85 separate items could make that light go on, ranging from minor to major.

Fortunately, this was minor -- a clogged air intake valve that was under warranty. They fixed it and replaced my air filter. Total charge to me: $19.95.

Whew.

No comments: