Sunday, October 10, 2004

“Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place.”

The Movie: Picnic at Hanging Rock, 1975 (Cliff Green, screenwriter, from the novel by Joan Lindsey; Peter Weir, dir.)
Who says it: Anne Lambert as Miranda, a student at a girls’ boarding school
The context: Miranda, her friends and a teacher go into the countryside for an outing; Miranda, two of her friends, and their teacher disappear, as if into thin air.
How to use it: To recognize the deepest order of the universe.

The universe will laugh at anything profound I try to say today, so I won't embarrass myself further. Tonight, God willing, Dizzy and I will sleep in Barstow. Tomorrow we'll see the Grand Canyon.

Steve, my high school boyfriend, is marrying his fiancee, Sherril, in Virginia Beach today. They'll make each other happy, I think, I hope. Sorry I can't be there. (I like to go to my old boyfriends' weddings; they'd all agree, I'm really a terrific ex-girlfriend.)

No comments: