Monday, June 06, 2005

“I’d like to see Paris before I die. Philadelphia will do.”

The Movie: My Little Chickadee, 1940 (Mae West and W. C. Fields, screenwriters; Edward F. Cline, dir.)
Who says it: W. C. Fields as Cuthbert J. Twillie, a con man who becomes sheriff of Greasewood City.
The context: Twillie is about to be hanged by angry townsmen who believe he is the Masked Bandit.
How to use it: To regret missed opportunities.

Maybe I'll dedicate this week to W.C. Fields' lines. Thanks to my dad for suggesting this one, which is one of his favorites. And as a matter of fact, I would like to see Paris before I die -- I've never been. Philadelphia, I've seen.

Central Maine slipped through a wormhole into midsummer over the weekend, but today we're back in early spring: temperatures in the 50s, and more rain. I don't mind; Dizzy was suffering in the heat, and the cooler weather gives me a little more time to buy window fans. It's easier to work in this weather, too, and that's important, because I have to cram a whole workweek into three days this week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PARIS: come use us as a base (same goes for Copenhagen).
Sue