Monday, June 20, 2005

“Just when I thought that I was out, they pull me back in!”

The Movie: The Godfather: Part III, 1990 (Mario Puzo & Francis Ford Coppola, screenwriters; Francis Ford Coppola, dir.)
Who says it: Al Pacino as Don Michael Corleone, a businessman with many interests
The context: Don Corleone’s plans to legitimize his family businesses aren’t working out the way he had hoped.
How to use it: When you thought you’d escaped.

No, I'm not moving back to Los Angeles; I'd just been waiting for a chance to use this line. But I must say that yesterday was a remarkably pleasant day, and reminded me of everything I loved about L.A.

I spent too much money at The Mystery Bookstore, even with my employee discount, and could easily have spent more. Gary's dogs greeted me joyfully when I got to his house, and I got a little work done before we all took a hike in Pacific Palisades. The weather was spectacular, and that trail, off Bienvenida, has one of the best views in town (the views from the Paseo Miramar trail are probably better, but dogs aren't allowed there). The sky was clear enough to see Catalina.

Yesterday morning I said goodbye to all the relatives in Ridgecrest; yesterday afternoon was books, some work, a hike; yesterday evening was a quiet dinner with friends in Venice. It was as close to a perfect day as I could ask for.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tuesday night on CBS, American Film Institute's "110 Years, 100 Movie Quotes."