Tuesday, June 07, 2005

“Sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie, but I’d never know, ‘cause I wouldn’t eat the filthy @$%*.”

The Movie: Pulp Fiction, 1994 (Quentin Tarantino, director and screenwriter, based on stories by Tarantino and Roger Avary)
Who says it: Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield, a hitman and small-time gangster
The context: Jules tells his partner, Vincent (John Travolta), that he doesn’t eat pork; this baffles Vincent, who says that bacon and pork chops taste gooood.
How to use it: When declining food someone else considers a delicacy – only among friends, of course.

Well, the W.C. Fields thing didn't pan out, though I'm sure I'll toss out a few more of his lines between now and the end of July.

But I'm just as glad to use this line, because this exchange is one of my favorite parts of the movie. Raised in the south by a woman of Irish descent, I could gladly eat pork products three times a day. And I don't really care that they're filthy animals.

In the early years of my sister Peggy's tenure at the Virginia Zoo, she helped keep the Domestic Animals exhibit, which included a large, cranky pig named Scarlet. Scarlet was fairly high-maintenance, because among other things, she needed regular, careful applications of sunscreen to keep her from burning under the Norfolk sun.

But Scarlet became slower, and crankier, and Peggy told me one day that she thought Scarlet might be coming to the end of her life. "How old is she?" I asked. "Twelve," Peggy said. "How old do pigs get to be?" I asked.

Peggy's eyes narrowed to slits. "No one knows," she said.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, I LOVE the pig story. Hi-larious.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I LOVE the pig story. Hi-larious.