Tuesday, July 26, 2005

“It’s understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself.”

The Movie: Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, 1986 (John Hughes, screenwriter and director)
Who says it: Matthew Broderick as high school senior Ferris Bueller, masquerading as Abe Froman, the Sausage King of Chicago
The context: The snooty maitre d’ has thanked Ferris for his understanding, after his original refusal to seat Ferris and his friends.
How to use it: To rage against the machine politely.

This quotation comes from my brother James, who says he's never had the courage to use it.

Almost all of the quotations lined up for this final week come from the 1980s. It's strange how the decade in which we come of age brands our consciousness forever. Has anyone decided what we're calling this decade, by the way? The Oughts? The Naughts? The Zeroes? The Ohs? (And now I'll have that Sesame Street song, "O, Would You Like to Buy an O?" in my head all day. It'll only cost a nickel...)

Yesterday's mail brought my Anthony Awards ballot, so it's a good thing I was already planning to reduce my workload for August. I have a lot of reading to do: two Best Novel nominees, three First Novel nominees, and all of the paperback originals. What, you say? I don't have to read every book nominated? I don't have to vote in all these categories? For shame. Nothing makes me happier than being asked for my opinion, and voting when I haven't read all the books would be dishonest. Tracking down all the short stories will be a challenge; if anyone knows an easy way to do this, please post it here or e-mail me.

I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to watch this morning's shuttle launch. Part of me hopes it will be scratched again -- because if today's launch is successful, I don't think that will mean the space program has resolved all of its safety issues.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry dear but I have never thought that safety must be the overwhelming controlling factor in anything. When you come down to it these peoiple are TEST PILOTS! They love it and they know the risks. If you want a list I can give you one of my friends who died doing things most people would consider suicidal.
I'm going to miss you Blog.

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

Oh, I know. This has always been the central conflict of the space program. The whole concept is reckless, and astronauts might be willing to die just for the fun of it -- but it's understandable that people might want to require a measure of caution when they're throwing billions of dollars around.

The blog is only taking a month off, not going away altogether. I'll be back with the new theme on September 1; check in on Saturday for the big announcement about what it is, if I haven't already told you in person.

Anonymous said...

I had the day off today and I went to Jax beach and watched the shuttle launch. I couldn't see much of it but I did see the contrail. What I was able to see was very neat. I hope some day I have the opportunity to see the launch up close. Thanks for using the quote, it's one of my favorites.
James

ercwttmn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ercwttmn said...

- i just wanted to say how much i've enjoyed your blog. a friend of mine e-mailed me the link last week, and i've enjoyed it since. i probably use movie quotes too much in everyday life already, but i think that's why i enjoy your blog so much. anyway thanks for introducing me to some new movies.

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

Thanks!