Thursday, July 14, 2005

“We have Franch fries… Franch bread… Franch dressing…”

The Movie: Better Off Dead, 1985 (Savage Steve Holland, screenwriter and director)
Who says it: Kim Darby as Jenny Meyer, mother of Lane (John Cusack) and apocalyptically bad cook
The context: The Meyers entertain Monique (Diane Franklin), a French exchange student, with items that honor her national cuisine.
How to use it: To celebrate your ignorance of other world cultures. Happy Bastille Day, mes amis.

Over the past week, people have driven their cars through plate-glass windows at the Cumberland Farms and the Lucky Strike Bowling Lanes here in Gardiner. If these things come in threes, the folks at the A-1 To Go must be feeling pretty nervous about now.

It's no wonder, really, because summertime in Maine is downright frenzied, especially compared to the hibernation of winter. The Pittston Fair starts today, and I may need to check out tomorrow night's He-Man Contest.

I won't be entering that, but I do plan to enter the pie-baking contest at Old Hallowell Day, on Saturday. (Sour cream-blueberry, in a graham cracker crust. E-mail me and I'll send you the recipe.) And then on Sunday, if the weather holds, I'll be headed down to Yarmouth for the Clam Festival. Jen promises that I will not actually have to eat any clams.

2 comments:

Madley said...

Mmmm... your pie sounds delicious! However the recipe would do me no good as I'm no cook and least of all a baker -- can you send the pie instead? LOL

Happy Bastille Day too -- too bad I can't remember enough French to figure out how to say that en français!

Ellen Clair Lamb said...

I cannot imagine the misery of being an extra without decent craft services. Mes condolences.