Saturday, July 23, 2005

“We don’t sell things. We sell dreams.”

The Movie: Absolute Beginners, 1986 (Richard Burridge, Terry Johnson, Don MacPherson and Christopher Wicking, screenwriters, from the novel by Colin McInnes; Julien Temple, dir.)
Who says it: David Bowie as 1950s advertising mogul Vendice Partners
The context: Partners gives Colin (Eddie O’Connell), an ambitious young photographer, a tour of his advertising empire; Colin is amazed that this structure exists just to sell things.
How to use it: Marketing 101.

Just over a week to go left on the "You Talking to Me?" theme, and I am rushing to include a few last favorite movies before it ends. This line is nothing special, but the movie is one of my favorites. Every few months it goes into heavy rotation on cable, and I have to watch it every time I happen upon it.

Yesterday afternoon I walked to the eye doctor's, because I had to get my pupils dilated -- and then I walked around Gardiner looking like a junkie, hiding my enormous pupils behind sunglasses even inside Reny's. The bad thing about living in a small town is that rumors can get started pretty fast... and the bad thing about getting my pupils dilated was that I couldn't really read for about four hours afterward, which put me even further behind on my workload than I already was.

Nevertheless, I am going out to Anna and Tarren's this afternoon for a cookout. No pies today; I am making a big Thai peanut noodle salad. It should go nicely with hot dogs. But what doesn't?

No comments: