Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Krewe

Who uses it: Residents of New Orleans
What it means: A carnival organization that holds a ball and a parade during the celebration of Mardi Gras. The oldest krewe is Comus, established in 1857.
How you can use it: Have your own Mardi Gras party -- and laissez les bons temps rouler.

Hanging in my kitchen are two framed prints of the Kings and Queens of Rex and Zulu, splashed in bright colors as official Mardi Gras artwork. It's as close I need to get to the actual celebration; New Orleans scared me even before the hurricane, even at non-Carnival times, and it's hard to imagine going back there any time soon.

Nevertheless, I expect to find some good times today. I'm headed north again, for lunch in Annapolis with Our Chris, and then a talk by my client, Joseph Finder, at -- of all places -- Land Rover of Alexandria. Seriously, this is part of a series hosted by the Don Beyer Volvo group, and Joe joins an elite group that includes Edward P. Jones and Andre Dubus. Click that link to RSVP, if you're interested in going.

Today is also known as Shrove Tuesday, because it was the last chance to confess your sins and be shriven before Lent. Somewhere I read that the expression "short shrift" comes from the practice of killing your enemies quickly, before they had time to receive absolution. Now that's cold.

No comments: