Monday, February 06, 2006

Point of order

Who uses it: Parliamentarians, legislators
What it means: A request for clarification of the rules of procedure, or an accusation that someone has broken a rule. The point of order takes precedence over almost everything; it must be brought up immediately, and debate stops until the point of order is resolved
How you can use it: To draw attention to missteps in an especially nerdy way.

You may have noticed that Blogger's had some trouble lately; I can't complain about it, because 1) Blogger is free and 2) Blogger is still more reliable than Typepad, as far as I can tell. But the Blogger system will be down today between 4:00 and 5:00 p.m. Eastern time, for anyone who cares.

The Super Bowl was a good game, but I can't watch the Rolling Stones any more. The Rolling Stones played what was supposed to be their LAST EVER NORTH AMERICAN APPEARANCE at the Hampton Coliseum in December 1981, and as far as I'm concerned, they retired then.

I'm not sure why I feel so much less tolerant of Mick and Keith than I do of Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey, whom I saw in 2004 at the Hollywood Bowl. Part of it is that I always liked The Who better than the Rolling Stones -- but hasn't The Who's music just aged better, by any objective standard? I still start most road trips with "Who's Next" in my tape player; I don't even know where my old vinyl copy of "Some Girls" wound up.

No comments: