Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Paper or plastic?

Who's asking: The checkout clerk at Hannaford

Plastic. I'm an apartment-dweller with a large dog. I hoard plastic bags, and never seem to have enough.

Off to New York today for BookExpo America -- feeling a little frantic and more tired than I should be at the beginning of such a big adventure. I have become a complete country mouse, I realized the last time I was in New York, and have lost whatever city skills I had. It's humbling. Sad, even.

Saw a bumper sticker in Augusta this morning that said, "Some Days All I Want to Be is a Missing Person."

Five Random Songs

"Rambling Boy," The Weavers. Classic, and the refrain makes a good impromptu mantra. "Fare thee well, my rambling boy/May all your rambling bring you joy..."

"M-O-N-E-Y," Lyle Lovett and His Large Band. From the Live in Texas CD. "No finance, no romance..." Whoever said that did not live in central Maine.

"So Many Little Lies," Peter Himmelman. I like Peter Himmelman a lot. This song is off a Trampoline Records sampler collection that my sister Susan gave me.

"These Blues is Killing Me," A.C. Reed. The words are grim, but the tune is bouncy and cheerful, and the chorus ("Say what? Say what?") makes me laugh. From the Alligator Records 20th Anniversary Collection.

"Andy's Chest," Lou Reed. The perfect soundtrack for a trip to New York.

No comments: