Friday, September 17, 2004

"Baby steps... baby steps!"

The Movie: What About Bob?, 1991 (Tom Schulman, screenwriter, from a story by Alvin Sargent & Laura Ziskin; Frank Oz, dir.)
Who says it: Bill Murray as Bob Wiley, a man paralyzed by his many phobias
The context: Bob is a patient of Dr. Leo Marvin (Richard Dreyfus), who coaches his clients to overcome their phobias with “baby steps,” rather than drastic measures. Bob says this all throughout the movie. Yes, it’s a comedy.
How to use it: To coach yourself or others through difficult situations.

Thanks to my friend and co-conspirator Tom Ehrenfeld for reminding me of this quotation and this movie. Today's quotation goes out with love to Mom, who's getting impatient with all the rehabilitation stuff.

I didn't hear from the car guys last night, and that worries me a little... but I have hope.

In an effort to distract myself from the car stress, I've taken on a lot of work this week. As a strategy, it hasn't worked very well, because rather than make me less stressed about the car, I simply feel more stressed about the car and the work.

Still, I think it was Fran Lebowitz who said that if you don't feel anxious and you're not in debt, you can't be completely sure you're alive.

No comments: