Friday, September 03, 2004

“I’m mad as hell, and I’m not going to take this anymore!”

The Movie: Network, 1976 (Paddy Chayefsky, screenwriter; Sidney Lumet, dir.)
Who says it: Peter Finch as deranged TV anchorman Howard Beale
The context: Network executives have given Beale a pulpit for his apocalyptic rants; Beale describes the evils of society and says that things have to change – but first, he tells the audience, they have to get mad. They have to go to a window and shout this line. In the movie, people do.
How to use it: When you're ready to give up complacency, and stop ignoring incompetence, ignorance and malevolence in this world.

My car will not be ready until September 10. That is all I wish to say on that subject at this time.

I will post a new itinerary on Monday. If the car isn't ready until the 10th, I probably won't leave here until the 13th. Especially if I can get a ticket to the Ramones' 30th Anniversary Concert at the Avalon on the 12th. A little "Blitzkrieg Bop" might be just what the situation requires.

Off to Colorado this morning, for my cousin Jean's wedding. At least the thin mountain air will force me to take deep breaths.

No comments: