Tuesday, September 07, 2004

"I'm your number one fan."

The Movie: Misery, 1990 (William Goldman, screenwriter, from the book by Stephen King; Rob Reiner, dir.)
Who says it: Kathy Bates as Annie Wilkes, a nurse and avid reader
The context: Annie rescues Paul Sheldon (James Caan) from a car wreck, and discovers that he is the author of her favorite series of romantic novels.
How to use it: To express scary levels of admiration and devotion.

Last night at dinner I was blathering on about something when Anahita, sitting across the table, suddenly looked at me and said, "Are you going to be alone in this house in Maine all winter?" We all laughed so hard we almost snarfed our margaritas.

The short answer is that I won't be alone, I'll have Dizzy. But I hope people will come and visit me, and I really hope I'm not reduced to kidnapping authors for company. (Not that all the authors I know -- my clients especially -- aren't charming, delightful people and welcome in my home at any time.)

My target departure date is still September 13, but I'm nailing down the itinerary today. I'll post it tomorrow.

No comments: