Tuesday, September 14, 2004

"You can never go home again, Oatman... but I guess you can shop there."

The Movie: Grosse Pointe Blank, 1997 (Tom Jankiewicz, D.V. DeVincentis, Steve Pink and John Cusack, screenwriters; George Armitage, dir.)
Who says it: John Cusack as Martin Q. Blank, a professional assassin who goes home for his ten-year high school reunion.
The context: Martin has just discovered that his home has been torn down and replaced by an Ultimart, and calls his therapist, Dr. Oatman (Alan Arkin) for emotional support.
How to use it: To express dismay at the destruction of the landmarks of your youth.

Thanks to my sister Susan for this quotation; she loves this movie a lot. A lot. My friend Dave Morgan sent me a note the other night to say that The Jewish Mother, the landmark Virginia Beach deli-coffeehouse where many of our classmates (not me, of course) had their first illegal beers, is closing. This is on top of the news that the Duck-In, Virginia Beach's oldest seafood restaurant, is closing next year too. At least Norfolk's Naro Expanded Cinema is still open.

Okay, so on to the car news. I did talk to Bill the Car Repair Guy yesterday morning. Ironically, the threat to move the car back to Santa Monica Volkswagen had no force, because the car was already on its way back there. The final repairs require some kind of specialized tool that the other shop doesn't have.

My insurance representative said the car would be ready today, but then I got a message late yesterday that makes me think it might be Wednesday. Even so, I feel the end is in sight.

No comments: