Monday, May 30, 2005

“Don’t forget what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he wanted.”

The Movie: Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, 1971 (David Seltzer, screenwriter, based on the novel by Roald Dahl; Mel Stuart, dir.)
Who says it: Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka
The context: Willy Wonka awards the grand prize of the Golden Ticket Tour to Charlie Bucket (Peter Ostrum). Charlie asks, “What happened?” and Mr. Wonka says, “He lived happily ever after.”
How to use it: When you get what you asked for.

I didn't win the Powerball this weekend -- and I had plans for that $220 million -- but I am still the luckiest person I know. And that's all I really have to say today, on Memorial Day, other than thanks to everyone who's put their own life on hold to serve the greater good. Next year, let everyone be home again.

No comments: