Sunday, May 01, 2005

“I was in love with a beautiful blonde once… she drove me to drink. That’s the one thing I’m indebted to her for.”

The Movie: Never Give a Sucker an Even Break, 1941 (Prescott Chaplin and John T. Neville, screenwriters, from a story by W.C. Fields; Edward F. Cline, dir.)
Who says it: W.C. Fields as The Great Man
The context: The Great Man’s niece (Gloria Jean) asks why he never married.
How to use it: To reminisce about lost love.

Happy birthday today to the original beautiful blonde, my mother -- and many, many more. And no, Mom, you did not drive me to drink. I walked there all by myself...

I drove up to Waterville last night, to see The Upside of Anger at the Railroad Square Cinema. I liked it, and didn't mind the ending, which seemed to upset many critics.

Next door to Railroad Square is one of central Maine's very few Mexican restaurants. Anna and Tarren had said it wasn't very good, but it had been so long since I'd had any Mexican food, and Anna doesn't even like it, so I discounted her opinion.

Next time I'll pay more attention to local knowledge. Even the guacamole just wasn't right... too much onion, not enough lemon, no garlic. And the less said about the refried beans, the better.

So I guess it's time for the list of Things I Miss about Los Angeles.

1. My family and friends.
2. The Mystery Bookstore.
3. Paco's Tacos and Cobras & Matadors.
4. Trader Joe's.
5. The Farmers' Market/The Grove.
6. Movie theaters in walking distance.
7. Night-blooming jasmine, bougainvillea, and birds of paradise.
8. Runyon Canyon.
9. The Westminster Dog Park in Venice.
10. The Iyengar yoga studio on 3rd Street.

It's now six months since I arrived in Maine. I remember that six-month aftershock when I moved to Los Angeles -- this is the point when my brain accepts that I really have moved, that I'm not just pretending and I'm not going back. Uncomfortable, but temporary, and a necessary transition.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always knew I had an excuse for the way I drink, but come to think of it, I was a heavy drinker when I met your mother even though I was only eighteen. I guess I must go back to blaming it on my race and religion, Irish Catholic.
Unlike W. C., there are many other things that I am indebted to her for and you are one of them.
We are back from the emergency room and it wasn't anything that a little antibiotic couldn't handle. Thank God and big pharm for that.

Mystery Dawg said...

I'm sure I speak for many of the LA gand, we miss you too!

Mystery Dawg said...

gang that is.....