Friday, August 20, 2004

"So I got that going for me. Which is nice."

The Movie: Caddyshack, 1980 (Brian Doyle-Murray, Harold Ramis and Douglas Kenney, screenwriters; Harold Ramis, dir.)
Who says it: Bill Murray as groundskeeper Carl Spackler
The context: This is the end of a long story Carl tells about the time he caddied for the Dalai Lama. The Dalai Lama didn’t give him a tip, but promised him total consciousness on his deathbed.
How to use it: To count your blessings, or acknowledge the bright side of an otherwise disappointing situation. Murray plays Carl with a strong lateral lisp, something I’ve spent most of my life trying to get rid of.

Things I have going for me: plenty of work, a remarkably tolerant landlady, a family that's actually functional, endlessly patient friends, and a faithful dog.

I don't think I could handle total consciousness, I'm too anxious already.

No comments: