Monday, August 23, 2004

“You’re too short for that gesture.”

The Movie: All About Eve, 1950 (Joseph L. Mankiewicz, screenwriter and dir.)
Who says it: George Sanders as Addison DeWitt, a poisonous gossip columnist
The context: DeWitt scoffs at rising star Eve Harrington (Anne Baxter), who is trying to throw DeWitt out of her hotel room.
How to use it: To deflate someone else’s righteous indignation. I think it’s funny to say it to toddlers, although I do remember how much I hated being that short. This is another quotation my friend Sue uses in heavy rotation.

Today's quotation is in honor of my friend Meredith, who heads back to New York today -- sob. She is not too short for any gesture she wants to make.

I used to be good at righteous indignation, but lost heart for it somewhere along the line. I need to muster some up this morning before I talk to the car repair people again.

Friends who have not been reading this blog think I'm in Maine already; I got a phone call this morning from someone who thought I'd be on East Coast time. I should be in Maine already. I don't really want to be here any more.

No comments: