Thursday, January 12, 2006

"All in all not a bad guy -- if looks, brains and personality don't count."

The Movie: Miller's Crossing, 1990 (Joel Coen & Ethan Coen, screenwriters; Joel Coen, director)
Who says it: Gabriel Byrne as political fixer Tom Regan
The context: Tom tells Verna about the recently-deceased Rug Daniels (Salvatore H. Tornabene)
How you can use it: If you can't say something nice...

I did not watch James Frey on Larry King last night; I watched Miller's Crossing, for the twenty-somethingth time, on Fox Movie Classics instead. As many times as I've seen that movie, I've never quite decided what it is that Tom Regan wants.

We're having a strange heat wave; today's temperature is supposed to get all the way up to 43. I whine about the cold, but I've grown to like it -- reasonable cold, that is, temperatures in the 20s. Below that, it gets painful to breathe.

I don't like these mid-winter thaws. They make me uneasy; everything gets soggy, and we get sudden clouds of gnats and small flies who think it's spring already. It reminds me of a Stephen King short story called "Strawberry Spring," in which these thaws reinvigorate a serial killer.

Not that we have serial killers in Gardiner. If we did, I'm sure Dizzy would protect me.

No comments: