Saturday, January 14, 2006

Greenhouse effect

Who uses it: Environmental scientists, newscasters, ecological activists, and Stephen King in Cujo
What it means: The warming of the earth's climate due to the trapping of gases in the atmosphere (water vapor, carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, methane), which magnify the sun's warming power.
How you can use it: To explain the weather.

Did you know that the Environmental Protection Agency has a "global warming" site for kids? No lie. The site's pretty balanced, but it makes the greenhouse effect sound entirely benign.

Dizzy doesn't think so. It's 42 degrees out and pouring rain, and almost all the snow is gone. He looks at me with the usual reproach, and doesn't believe me when I say it's not my fault; but I'd prefer the snow, too.

I woke up in the middle of the night with my ears clogged and a piercing sinus headache, and I blame the weather. The headache's backed off some, but I still feel as if my forehead is about twice its normal size.

No comments: